Can you work in Australia on a Student Visa?

Australian work experience can play an important role in one’s immigration journey. It is also a great way to supplement your finances. So naturally, many international students will want to work in Australia while studying. However, it is important to be aware of the general rules and limitations of an Australian Student Visa when undertaking any local work.

Working while you study

If you were granted a Student Visa on or after 26 April 2008, you and your dependent family members have permission to work in Australia automatically included with your visa. It is important to note that while you are allowed to arrive in Australia up to 90 days before your course commencement date, you cannot start working until you have commenced your course.

Rules for International Students

Currently, a Student Visa allows you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight once your course have commenced and is in session. Unrestricted working hours apply when your course is not in session.

Work considered to be a formal registered part of your course is not included in the above-mentioned limit of 40 hours per fortnight.

If you are undertaking voluntary, unpaid work, it is not included in the 40 hours per fortnight limit either.

Dependant family members accompanying the student have the same working rights in Australia as the student.

If you breach any of these restrictions, your Student Visa may be cancelled and you could face deportation from the country.

What options do you have?

Your education provider will usually offer a range of internship, work experience and volunteer opportunities. Many Australian universities also take part in a student employment program called CareerHub where potential employers share available vacancies and you have an opportunity to get recruited.

While your course is in session, the most optimal solution is to work in retail or hospitality, for example a fashion store or a restaurant. In most cases, this will be a shift work and you can choose how many hours you would like to work and which shifts suite your situation best. Some other good options include telemarketing, tutoring, services and clerical work as they tend to offer similar flexible working arrangement.

During summer break, you may consider looking for a position more closely related to your degree. Most likely, it will be an intern role, but you can occasionally come across formal short-term positions. The best websites to look for work are, and

Need help with a Student Visa?

If you are looking to study in Australia and need help applying for a Student Visa, don’t hesitate getting in touch! A consultant will get back to you within 24 hours.

Contact us