English Language Proficiency

If you are considering studying in Australia, you probably already know that to get a Student Visa you need to demonstrate a certain level of English language proficiency.

Students are exempted from providing proof of English proficiency when applying for a visa if they fall into one of the following categories:

– Students who have completed at least five years of study in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the Republic of Ireland.

– Citizens and holders of passports in the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand or Ireland.

– students who have successfully completed a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or have completed at least Certificate IV in Australia for two years before applying for a student visa.

– students sponsored by the Ministry of Defence or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

For the purpose of obtaining a Student Visa for Australia, five English tests are accepted:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Internet test Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Paper test is accepted from limited countries.
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
  • Occupational English Test (OET)

For your results to be accepted, the test must be completed no more than two years prior to applying.

The required level of proficiency depends on your educational institution, course, citizenship and on whether you are planning on taking an ELICOS course upon arrival in Australia.

For Student Visa applications, you must show the following results:
– IELTS 5.5
– TOEFL 46
– CAE 162
– PTE 42
– OET Pass (A or B)

If you plan to take at least 10 weeks of the ELICOS course, you should show the following results:
⠀- IELTS 5.0
– TOEFL 35
– CAE 154
– PTE 36
– OET Pass (A or B)

If you plan to take at least 20 weeks of the ELICOS course, you should show the following results:
– IELTS 4.5
– TOEFL 32
– CAE 147
– PTE 30
– OET Pass (A or B)

It is important to note that the points above are the minimum points required to obtain a student visa. In order to be successfully enrolled in an educational institution, you will need a higher score. For undergraduate courses, the following scores represent the minimum requirements at most universities:
IELTS – общий балл от 6,0 до 6,5 (без полосы от 5,5 до 6,0)
TOEFL – общий балл от 60 до 90
CAE – общий балл от 169 до 176 (не менее 169 в любой категории)
PTE Academic – общий балл от 50 до 64