Types of student visas in Australia

In Australia, there are two subtypes of student visas: 500 (the main visa) and 590 (the guardian visa) which considerably simplified things, as before June 1, 2016 there were 6 subtypes based on the duration and type of educational institution. Today everything is much easier.

If your studies last less than 3 months, you will be issued a tourist Visitor Visa 600 that allows a very short stay in the country and no possibility for a part-time job. If you plan to study for more than 3 months, you will need to prepare documents for entering the programme and then submit them for application for the student visa subtype 500. With this visa, you can work up to 40 hours in two weeks and visa duration is up to five years depending on the study course.

So what are the main requirements for getting a student visa:
— a letter from the educational institution confirming your admission to the programme,
— medical insurance for the entire period of studies,
— a letter of motivation,
— proof of financial solvency of the applicant to cover the tickets, accommodation, and the first year of studies,
— confirmation that studying is the real aim of the trip and staying in the country is temporary.

This is one of the main requirements that the Department of Immigration pays special attention to.

This is why it is necessary to give substantial and detailed ground of why a certain study programme in this particular country was selected, whether this course corresponds to the previous education and work experience of the applicant, whether the applicant has been issued visas or travelled to other countries before.

The key aspect is that you need to show this in your past, you won’t have the possibility to submit documents for a visa and start building a strategy to show your “pure” intentions.

This is why our agency Achange Study always creates a preliminary strategy for document submission to make sure you have a clear, step by step, comprehensible action plan.